Saturday, December 7, 2013

Sparkledoodles

Behold, the Sparkledoodle!



That is what I have decided to call it.  You heard it here first!  (As far as I can tell...)

Snickerdoodles seem to be making a comeback this holiday season.  I have seen them all over the internet, including an adorable red and green version that got me rethinking the batch I was about to make.  My snickerdoodles needed to be festive, special, even fun.

My snickerdoodles needed to sparkle.

Like any good glitter-lovin' gal, I happened to have sparkly food stuffs on hand.
I went to my favorite trusty snickerdoodle recipe and got crackin'.  



This recipe, from my ancient copy of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, is truly the best.  For this particular batch, I wanted the cookies to be a bit lighter in color, so I used granulated sugar.  When I usually make these, I use dark brown sugar in the batter instead of granulated.
They are heavenly that way.

"Sparkledoodles"
Snickerdoodle recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Prep: 25 minutes / Chill: 1 hour / Yields: about 36 1" cookies, or 18 2" cookies

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • Your favorite sparkling sprinkles (try Cupcake Gems by Cake Mate, or any of the edible glitters from Wilton)
In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.

Add the sugar and baking powder and beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.

Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.

Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.  Stir in any remaining flour.

Cover and chill dough for about an hour.  DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

When dough is ready, preheat your oven to 375º.

(I use a 1.5" cookie scoop when I make most of my cookies.  It makes a larger cookie than the recipe anticipates so the batch will be smaller.)

Shape dough into 1-inch balls.

Roll balls in sparkling sprinkles until evenly coated.

Place your sparking dough 2 inches apart on an un-greased (or parchment or silicone lined) baking sheet. 


Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


I think that these would make the perfect treat for a tea party with my niece.  
Who would you share your sparkle with?


No comments:

Post a Comment