Thursday, December 26, 2013

Smoked Salmon & Cucumber Wraps

I don't know about you, but I overdid it yesterday.  Yep.

I made a lot of delicious food but I didn't take any pictures of it because I was excited to be with my family after a stressful week before Christmas.

My normally dependable schedule for preparing my church's Christmas Pageant was thrown out the window when I discovered that all of our angel costumes were missing.  I called my mom to come out and help me look because moms always seem to have super powers when it comes to finding stuff.  Nope.  They were totally gone.

I didn't panic because I knew I had bins of white sheets and fabric, an old pattern for the costumes we already had, and a pretty decent knowledge of sewing.  As with so many things involving kids and scheduling, it was not smooth sailing.  Even with a costume for each angel at rehearsal, we didn't have enough when it was show time, but luckily a light beige tunic made a great substitute.  The pageant went off with out any major glitches and the kids were adorable.  In the end, a good time was has by all.  Success!

When it came time to finally kick back with my family, I relaxed and enjoyed everything Christmas had to offer, including Santa's cookies, fresh blueberry muffins, and (for some reason) the cheese ball puffs that were set around the room in big bowls just begging to be thrown in the air and caught in your mouth.

Today, with my pants feeling a little tight and my energy a tad lower than usual, I am ready to get back on track.  I genuinely like eating healthy foods that taste good and make me feel good.

Lunch today was really simple.  Pulled from one of my favorite cookbooks, it's a simple sandwich idea that you can whip up in minutes.  It's light, flavorful, filling, and you feel good about eating it.

Tonight, I'm going to make a big ol' pot of Magical White Bean Soup.  Without any fixin's it's a delicious gluten-free and vegan soup that fills you up without letting you down.




Smoked Salmon & Cucumber Wraps
from Williams-Sonoma's Healthy in a Hurry cookbook
makes 2 wraps in only a few minutes

Ingredients

  • sprouted-wheat or whole wheat tortillas, 2 large
  • whipped light cream cheese, 1/4 cup (about 2 oz.)
  • English cucumber, 1/2 cup thinly sliced
  • smoked salmon, 2 oz. thinly sliced
  • broccoli sprouts or baby arugula leaves, 2 big handfuls

Spread each tortilla with half of the cream cheese.
Arrange half of the cucumber slices on each in a single layer over the cream cheese.  Overlap if necessary.  Leave a 1"strip of cream cheese on one side topping free.
Arrange salmon over cucumbers, dividing it evenly.
Scatter sprouts or arugula over salmon.

Roll the tortilla beginning opposite the side with the uncovered cream cheese.  Tuck the tortilla snugly around the ingredients.  Press the edge to seal with the cream cheese.  

For a pretty effect, cut through the center on a diagonal.

Serve right away or wrap tightly to keep for a little later.  


According to the Healthy in a Hurry cookbook, one wrap has 210 calories, 11g protein, 23g carbs, 7g fat, 15mg cholesterol, 3g fiber, and 950mg sodium.



No comments:

Post a Comment