Monday, August 18, 2014

Chocolate Chip PB Pumpkin Cookies


Who gets sick in the summertime? I mean honestly...

My last regular checkup at the doctors revealed to me that my white blood cell count is lower than average, but still OK, however it means I'm more likely to sucumb to the common cold than the average bear.

After a lifetime of dealing with this tendency I've got my recovery routine in place. Sleep is incredibly important, as is staying hydrated. I know it's not the healthiest choice, but I drink a lot of ginger ale (and water) when I'm sick. I just discovered that if I add teaspoon of maraschino syrup to one can of ginger ale over ice, it's basically a Shirley Temple. Yummy, yummy "hydration."

It's easier to take some time to rest right now because it's mid-August. One of my guilty pleasures left over from a previous life is pouring over the September issues that are starting to hit newsstands right about now. My mom dropped off InStyle Magazine when she heard I was sick, and I got right to it. I still have an appreciation for things that are out of my price universe, fashions that push the envelope, new combinations I would never think to put together, and even pieces that are artistic but that I wouldn't personally wear. After this last issue however, I'm starting to think getting out of fashion was a good move. I'm not sure I "get it" anymore. Case in point:

  
While I'm not about to spend what I've heard is $1350 for that particular pair of supah-sexy shoes, my desire for shiny equestrian style boots, long cardigans, and giant scarves has been piqued. The temperatures are still hot and the leaves are still quite green, but it hasn't stopped me from indulging in some of my favorite fall treats: the first 3 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (NOTHING says back-to-school like classic Buffy style), and some delectable pumpkin treats.


These cookies are the perfect treat if you're looking for a low calorie cookie with benefits. This is probably the only baked good I've made that I would actually slap a "HEALTHY" label on. With only SIX ingredients and no added sugars, they're soft, delicious, and oh-so satisfying. They're the perfect companion to a hot latté or cup of spiced tea. Did I mention they're gluten free and vegan? This one is a keeper.

Chocolate Chip PB Pumpkin Cookies
by New to the Table
Yield: about 15 cookies / Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter (I love Skippy Natural extra crunchy)
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350º.

In a medium sized bowl, stir peanut butter, pumpkin, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.

Add oats and baking soda mix until fully incorporated.

Fold in chocolate chips, making sure they are evenly distributed through dough.

Using a medium cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon fulls, drop dough onto a lined cookie sheet. Using your fingers, gently flatten the dough rounds.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on the sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.


The amounts are very easily convertible if you want to make a mini batch, or even double or triple your batch. 

My own fall semester starts next week and I've just started having stress dreams about my Sunday school rooms not being ready so I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in organization both at home and at work this week.

I got a wonderful phone call from my Grandma yesterday saying that she's a fan of my blog! She's ready to make some protein bread, banana muffins, and lemony oat breakfast cookies. It felt awesome. Hi Grandma! Love you. 


(serving = 1 cookie)

No comments:

Post a Comment