Friday, December 6, 2013

Guinness Mac n' Cheese

Paul has been uber supportive as I've embarked on this whole food blog journey.  He's helped me upgrade from a point-and-shoot camera to a DSLR and been just as passionate about learning how to use it as I have.  He dutifully eats whatever I make, even if it bombs.  He doesn't try to stop me from pacing around as I wait to find out the result of my latest FoodGawker.com submission.  (15th blog was the charm!  Woo hoo!)

I'm not very good at being romantic or putting my feelings into words, so I try to say thank you with food.

When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it for Paul.  He loves beer.  He loves pasta.  It was no surprise that this was a big hit with him.

If you do not like beer, this recipe is NOT for you.  It starts out cheesy and creamy but has a malty, bitter finish.

I was going to say that this is the perfect dish for the men in your life, but that's pretty unfair to all of my kick-ass girlfriends who love dark beer.  This is a delicious comfort dish for the beer lover in your life.

Did I mention it's from Cooking Light?  Yeah, everyone's a winner here.

Stout Mac n' Cheese
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine, April 2013
Serves: 4 / Total time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 7 oz. uncooked rotini pasta (or similar shape)
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 4 oz. hot turkey or chicken Italian sausage
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 2 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 cup Guinness Stout Beer
  • 1/3 whole milk
  • 2.5 oz. reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 oz. light processed cheese, shredded (such as Velveeta Light)

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.

While pasta cooks, heat a large sauce pan over medium-high heat.  Add the oil and swirl to coat.
Remove casing from sausage.  Add the sausage and onion to the pan.  Cook about 6 minutes, stirring to crumble sausage.

Add flour, pepper, and salt and cook 1 additional minute, stirring frequently.

Stir in beer.  Bring to a boil, then cook 3 additional minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and add cheeses and milk, stirring until smooth.


According to Cooking Light Magazine, a 1 1/4 cup serving has the following stats:
Calories: 385 / Fat: 11.7g / Protein: 15.6g / Carb: 48.5g / Fiber: 2.3g / Chol: 36mg / Iron: 2.4mg / Sodium: 606mg / Calc: 43mg

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment