Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Bittman's Banana Bread

I'm finished with grad school. I've graduated, I've got a decent handle on things at work, the house is clean, we're heading to a Philadelphia Union game tonight, and I have a bunch of overripe bananas on the table. Life. Is. Good.




A dear friend gave us a little loaf of banana bread recently and it gave me a hankering to make some of my own. I didn't want to do the same old family recipe (sorry, mom...) and though I love my banana muffins with all my heart and stomach, I wanted to try something new. Enter in How to Cook Everything. If anyone can show you how to make something, it's Mark Bittman.

Oh how this banana bread does not disappoint. Compared to other banana breads, the sugar in this recipe isn't out of control. A surprise addition of shredded coconut gives it a fun flavor, and I love a good pecan over a walnut any day.

I've got a lot of plans for this little food blog, fabulous hobby that it is. We're going to go on a lot of adventures together, you and me. But before we go, have a slice of this delicious banana bread...

Bittman's Banana Bread
from How to Cook Anything, by Mark Bittman
Yield: 1 loaf
Time: 1+ hour

Ingredients

  • 8 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 ripe bananas (the riper the better!), peeled and mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper (or grease with butter in a pinch).

Combine flours, salt, baking powder and sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.

Using a stand mixer or hand beaters, cream the butter until smooth and starting to look fluffy. Add eggs and bananas and beat to combine. Add flour in thirds, mixing to combine. 
(Lumps are OK - do not over mix! You'll end up with a tough, not tender, loaf.)

Gently fold in vanilla, coconut and pecans. 

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. A toothpick should come out fairly clean. Don't over bake, banana bread is supposed to be moist!

Allow bread to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer loaf to a wire rack to cool completely.
This bread will keep in an airtight container for several days.


I hope you enjoy this fantastic loaf! Thanks for stopping by today. See you real soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment