Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Lemony-Oat Breakfast Cookies

Paul loves to run.  He loves running gadgets, phone apps, articles, etc.  Naturally, he has a subscription to Runner's World Magazine.  Not particularly fond of running myself (though I'm sure it would do me some good) I was surprised to find how much I enjoy the magazine.  I like the uplifting stories and fitness tips.  The recipes have also been surprisingly wonderful.



It's unfair to say "surprisingly" when I know very well that health-conscious food can be quite delicious.  One of the last few issues of Runner's World featured different kinds of pizza to make at home and I made this beauty:


It was awesome.

I sat down this morning to read the February issue of Runner's World, and after being moved and inspired by a gorgeous mother of two who beat addiction to drugs and alcohol and overcame spinal surgery to run a bagillion miles, compete in the worlds hardest races, and start a running program for the homeless in her city, I set out to make this delicious recipe.

Runner's World did not call these breakfast cookies and I leave out an ingredient or two while serving them up a little differently.  These are supposed to be a dessert, but I think they would taste like utter perfection with a cup of coffee in the morning.

These cookies are wheat-free, contain no processed sugars, and could be made vegan very easily.  Make these beauties for yourself and then check out all of the other amazing recipes Runner's World has to offer.  I may be picking up their cookbook very soon.



Lemony Oat Breakfast Cookies
Adapted from Runner's World Magazine, February 2014
Yield: 8.5 - 2 cookie servings

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
  • 3/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 3 tbsp melted butter
  • zest of 1 lemon

Preheat your oven to 350º.

In a large bowl combine oats, almond flour, flaxseed, allspice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a small bowl whisk together honey, applesauce, melted butter, and lemon zest.

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until combined.

Use a 1 1/2" cookie scoop to divvy out dough into a lined or greased baking sheet.  Carefully press to flatten each cookie.

Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden.








No comments:

Post a Comment