Monday, January 13, 2014

Eggless "Egg Salad"

Back when I worked in retail everyone was reading the book "Skinny Bitch" and afraid of eating anything, myself included and maybe especially.  It was the most miserable 5 pounds I ever lost.

Many good things came from that era, friends topping the list, and I still eat a lot of the foods I learned to prepare while living in fear of death by ingesting what I previously thought of as "nutrients."

One food I really wanted while doing the "Skinny Bitch" thing was a sandwich (sounds like a joke but it's true), but I was still too scared to eat one.  Out of my desperation came this recipe.

You can put this sandwich salad in a wrap, on freshly baked bread, eat it with a fork, scoop it with chips, the world is your oyster!  It takes less than 10 minutes to make and will yield enough to give you two large sandwiches.

It's been a while since I've read "Skinny Bitch" so I can't tell you if this dish is something the authors would approve of, but I can tell you that it's delicious and husband-approved.



Chickpea Salad
by New to the Table
Total Time: 8 minutes / Servings: 2

Ingredients
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
  • 1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise of your choice (try Nasoya or Hellmans Light)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
  • 1 1/2 tbsp sweet relish
  • 1/4 of a medium onion, finely chopped
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Put beans in a medium sized bowl and mash with a fork.  Leave a good amount of the beans whole for a satisfyingly chunky texture.

Add your mayonnaise to the beans and fold in.  (This should act as a binder and not the main flavor of the dish.)

Add the mustard and the relish and mix.

Fold in the onion.  Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.

Keep any left over in an airtight container in the refrigerator for only a few days.


Take this recipe and run with it!  Take out the things you don't like and put in the things you do!  I've tried it with garam masala and it was wonderful.  Comment or e-mail me and let me know the inspired sandwiches you create!

No comments:

Post a Comment