Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Chipotle Black Bean Hummus

I don't think there will be any of this left when Paul gets home tonight...


My mouth is on fire and yet I can't/won't stop. At least I will definitely get my 8 glasses of water today.


We're housesitting again at a house we just love. We are enjoying "playing house" with the benefits of a huge yard bursting with amazing plants, a large kitchen, central air, and separate bathrooms, but also getting a slightly better understanding of some of the upkeep these things require. While it's fun to pretend I think we will be happy when we're finally back in our small-but-the-right-size-for-us apartment. I can only guess that Paul will be super ready after I leave for a little over a week and he is stuck with the upkeep of the amazing, but high maintenance, yard.

I'm heading to Montreat, North Carolina, and I am PSYCHED! Every year our high school youth group travels 10+ hours to the Montreat Youth Conference. I wish that I had gone when I was in high school but we only did one work-style trip a year (think Habitat for Humanity). I've been twice as an adult and enjoy it wholeheartedly. This year I return as a small group leader. I get my very own group of 30 high school students from all over the country to lead through activities and discussion twice a day, all around a theme. This year's theme is "Rooted & Reaching" and after reading through all the materials ahead of time I'm even more excited because it looks fantastic and I think the kids are going to have a great time while being challenged.

I'm leaving a little early so I can make a stop and finally meet my cutie patootie new nephew!  I'm hoping to make a few more things before I leave on Thursday, but I know I'm going to be running around trying to make sure that everything is taken care of at home, at work, and that Paul won't be eating fast food the whole time I'm gone.


I'm going to have to make another batch of this to leave with Paul.

One of the things I love about homemade hummus is how FLUFFY it is! I also love that you can control the spice level. I love hot foods, but maybe you don't. If that's case all you need to do is remove ALL the seeds from the chili peppers before chopping them and putting them into the food processor. That way you still get all the delicious chipotle flavor without the heat.

Chipotle Black Bean Hummus
from New to the Table
yield: 3-4 servings / total time: 17 minutes 

Ingredients
  • 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 small dried chipotle peppers
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • juice of 1/2 a lime
Start by putting the dried peppers in a small bowl and fill it with boiling water. Leave for about 15 minutes, or until the peppers are soft.

Once the peppers have rehydrated, take them out of the water. Slice the peppers in half. If you don't want hot hummus, scrape out ALL of the seeds. They hide in the membranes, so really dig around until you get them all. I like my hummus to have a little heat, so I leave the seeds of one pepper IN. I'm not sure I would recommend leaving all the seeds in. You might hurt yourself.

Finely chop the peppers.

Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth and fluffy.

Eat immediately with your favorite dippers or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. 


I'm still trying to locate some of the necessary ingredients so I can do one more post about our England trip. Italian markets here I come!

When I get back from Montreat I am going to start baking. It's my 30th birthday in early August and I can't decide what cake I want. So why not make some of the ones I've had my eye on? Who said you can only have one cake on your birthday? Especially for the big 3-0.

See you again soon! 



No comments:

Post a Comment