Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sausage & White Bean Skillet

I was recently faced with the dilemma of an almost empty fridge, a grumbly tummy, and the desire to not leave the house. A totally unique situation, I'm sure. Paul and I were also getting ready to leave on a church camping trip for several days and we didn't want to buy any food to potentially spoil while we were gone.



I knew I could make an onion the base of almost anything, and I seriously love onion. A can of white beans, a little sausage, some garlic, a finishing sprinkle of cheese... I discovered a crazy easy comfort classic. After two bites, Paul insisted I blog about it.

I've tried this twice since, once with chicken (meh) and once with wilted spinach (love it) but I decided to share with you the original recipe that won a regular place in our kitchen. It's simple, delicious, and if you want to wilt some fresh baby spinach in there for an extra nutritional boost, go for it! A sprinkle of grated mozzarella on top melts in with the creamy white beans and with each bite you can feel feel yourself retreat to a warm, happy place.

Solid Gold Skillet
by New to the Table
Serves: 2 / Time: about 25 minutes

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 links hot italian turkey sausage (like Shadybrook Farms)
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, optional
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and slightly transparent - about 4-5 minutes.

Remove sausage from casing and add to the onions, breaking up with a wooden spoon as the sausage cooks. Stir frequently until sausage is cooked through.

Add garlic to pan and stir through. Cook one minute.

Add beans to pan and gently stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges of beans brown slightly.

Remove from heat and serve immediately. Top with a sprinkle of mozzarella if desired.


I can't wait to gobble this up when Paul gets home tonight. I'm even looking forward to the next empty-fridge challenge! I can only hope it will turn out as delicious as this.




No comments:

Post a Comment