Monday, April 21, 2014

Sweet and Sour Cucumbers

When I started running I was timid about how far I wanted to venture away from home. It got boring zig-zagging the same streets trying to stay inside the town limits. And when running gets boring the temptation to quit early becomes overwhelming.


Late last week I finally ventured outside the town limits and for the first time in my life I ran 3 miles without stopping. Coincidence? I don't think so. I ventured toward another town today and when the running app told me I was done, I wasn't ready to quit. What I was I afraid of? 


Because I took the risk of running outside my comfort zone I learned that I'm capable of a lot more than I thought I was. It's a small example, but I'm going to keep it in the forefront of my mind as I continue through work, school, marriage, and life. I don't want fear of discomfort to keep me from limiting myself and the amazing experiences that are out there to be had.

This morning I had a very exciting distraction. My sister-in-law sent out a blast to let us know that the baby was coming a few days early and they were on the way to the hospital. I waited to run thinking there might be news, but I couldn't wait any longer. As I ran my mom called, Paul called, and there were group texts but it wasn't until I was cooling down and only a few blocks from home that I learned I was once again an aunt and this time to a healthy, handsome boy with a solid set of lungs! Just three short weeks ago, my BFF and MOH Eleanor welcomed a beautiful boy as well. So much to celebrate! I feel like I need to bake something blue...


There is Easter candy all over the house, both from church and from the Easter bunny that started visiting again after Paul and I got engaged. I don't do well when bite sized chocolate candy is just laying around but I'm handling it so much better with this awesomely satisfying, cold, sweet, crunchy snack - for only 34 calories per serving. These sweet little babies were the best when Paul and I came back from an exhausting afternoon at a state park this weekend. I can already picture myself on the porch in hot weather with a cool glass of water, a good book, and a little dish of cucumbers. Yessss....

Sweet and Sour Cucumbers
adapted from FitSugar
Yield: 6-8 servings / Time: 10 minutes active, 2 1/4 hours inactive

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lbs english cucumbers, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp coarse kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Place sliced cucumbers in a colander, rest colander in sink or on several paper towels, and sprinkle cucumbers with salt and toss. Let rest for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally. 

While cucumbers are resting, whisk together vinegar, sugar, and pepper in a large bowl. 

Drain cucumbers and pat dry. Toss cucumbers in dressing, cover bowl, and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.

When cucumbers are done marinating, toss one final time in dressing and then drain.

Serve cold.


There is so much to look forward to this summer! Warm weather, summer vacation, completing my first ever race, a stack of books, more new recipes, and meeting my new nephew. What are you looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment