Thursday, October 9, 2014

Black Bean Cakes




When I like something, I tend to really like it. For example, I really, really like these black bean cakes. I made them twice last week for just me. Paul wasn't home to help me eat them. That's 8 servings of these bad boys that I enjoyed all by myself. (That is just a small window into how I felt about Hanson when I was 12, but I digress...)


About a year ago my bestie El gave me a ginormous stack of Cooking Light magazines, and I've shared a few of my favorites from the collection (Guinness Mac n' Cheese, Chickpea Curry, Madeleines) but this recipe may be one of my favorites. I've taken some serious liberties with it over the past year and put my own spin on it (hello, onions!). 

The original recipe suggests serving these cakes with fried eggs and a mixed green salad. A valid food choice and they really are quite delicious with eggs. But my favorite way to eat them is with a giant spoonful of Trader Joe's Smoky Peach Salsa and a few slices of avocado on the side. So simple, so delicious, so good for you. They're lightly pan-fried so they have that mouthwatering golden crunch that tastes and feels just a little bit naughty, but there is only virtue here. 

Add this to your menu this week and tell me you don't fall in love.


Black Bean Cakes
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine, September 2012
Yield: 4 Servings / Total Time: about 15 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp canola oil (plus more for frying)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 tbsp Panko
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped after measuring
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
  • 1/2 cup Panko
Place black beans, 1 tbsp canola oil, and egg in a food processor (or a blender) and pulse or blend for 30 seconds until you have a rough, chunky paste. (It is way more appetizing than that sounds, I promise.)

In a large bowl, add the bean mixture, 3 tbsp panko, onion, cilantro, and spices, and fold to thoroughly combine.

Add the 1/2 cup of panko to a shallow dish. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal servings. (I do this by smoothing it flat and even in the bowl and then cutting through the center once lengthwise and once widthwise to give me four equal parts.)

Heat about 2 tablespoons of canola or other neutral oil in your favorite skillet over medium high heat.

Take one quarter of your bean mixture and form a patty with your hands. Dredge through the panko to coat both sides of the patty. Repeat with other three servings.

Fry the patties in the pan for about 4 minutes per side, or until golden and crispy.

Serve immediately. 


Calories are not everything, but look at those stats! That is per cake. YUM. I love onion so of course I tend to add a lot. But that does not mean you have to. You can knock the onion down to 1/4 cup and still have great consistency and flavor. 


I'm working on a recipe to re-create the delicious Belgian Teacake I had at Costa Coffee this summer in England. Of course I'm "ruining" it with an American twist, but I'm so excited about it. Reading week is here, so I hope I have more time to work on it! 

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you again soon :)



No comments:

Post a Comment