Friday, February 7, 2014

Make Your Own Naan

I love curry.  I love to make curry popcorn, curry noodles, curry beans and potatoes...  I really love the curry dish that I posted back in early December and I still make it all the time.  It's really inexpensive, it's healthy, delicious, and it's quick to make.

I made curry the other night and I knew I would really want some hot naan to go with it.  I love swirling pieces of naan in the curry and sopping up the flavorful sauce.  The problem?  Paul and I can never agree on store bought naan.  I love super fragrant garlic naan and he want's his plain so it doesn't interfere with the flavor of the curry.

Why not try making it at home?  How hard could it really be?  As it turns out, not hard at all.



I looked at a LOT of recipes for naan, but Tieghan at Half Baked Harvest had the most approachable recipe I could find.  Yes I want you to try this because you're on my site but you should definitely click over to the Half Baked Harvest site and read about Tieghan's story (she's 19!) and see her awesome recipes.  I just love it.

Homemade Naan
from Half Baked Harvest
Yields: 8 pieces / Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 cup hot water (use a thermometer to get it to about 105º - 110º)
  • 3/4 tsp active dry yeast
  • 3/4 cup warm milk
  • 1 cup greek yogurt
  • oil for brushing
  • optional: your favorite seasonings like cumin, minced garlic, garlic powder, chili powder, etc.


1.  In a medium sized bowl dissolve the sugar in the warm water.  (Read your yeast packet to make sure you don't kill your yeast with water that's too hot!) Add the dry yeast to the warm water and stir until yeast is dissolved.  Let sit for about 10 minutes or until the mixture begin to froth and rise.

2.  Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder to a large mixing bowl.

3.  When the yeast is foamy and smells a bit like bread add the warm milk and yogurt.  Pour the wet ingredients right into the middle of the dry and begin mixing with a wooden spoon.  When the dough is about to come together use your hands to finish mixing.  It should be sticky, but should form a ball and be soft.  Cover the bowl with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for 1 hour, or if not using right away you can put it in the fridge overnight.

4.  When ready to cook, divide the dough into 8 equal balls and using a rolling pin, roll each piece of dough into an oval shape about 6-8 inches long and 1/4-inch thick, but no thinner.

5.  Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.  Brush both sides of 1 piece of flattened dough with oil and sprinkle with optional spices.  Place the naan in the hot skillet, cover with lid and bake for 1 minute, until you see bubbles starting to form.  Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes, until large toasted spots appear on the underside.  Remove from heat and repeat with each piece of dough.


These will keep in the fridge for a few days but are the best when eaten fresh.  I'm already looking forward to making more.  Maybe I will venture into dessert naan... It could be the new crepe.


No comments:

Post a Comment