Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving goes to the dogs...

There are a lot of dogs in my life this Thanksgiving.  Four, maybe five, to be exact.  I say maybe because there could be an adoption tomorrow if things go well.

If you have a dog, you know the look you get when yummy smells and crinkly packages happen in your kitchen.  Throw bacon into that mixture and you've got a recipe for giant, sparkling eyes looking at you dejectedly, begging for a treat.  Will a boxed biscuit cut it on a holiday such as this?

I knew I wanted to try something for the furry family members this Thanksgiving, but because I am also making shaved brussel sprouts with bacon and a extra rich chocolate cake, I also knew I wanted to keep it simple.  I found a recipe that met my criteria: five ingredients I already have, fast from start to finish, and fun.



I have a great collection of weird, old cookie cutters, and I was elated when I discovered what I believe to be the perfect shape for a dog treat.  If you've ever seen the movie UP, maybe you will agree:


Hopefully my furry friends appreciate my sense of humor...

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Based on a recipe from The Curious Country Cook
Yield: Varies

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
  • 3 tbsp water, room temperature
Preheat your oven to 350º.

Put all of your ingredients into a bowl.  Using either a stand mixer or a hand held mixer, combine your ingredients until crumbly.  Dump dough onto a floured surface and form into a ball.


Roll your dough to about 1/4" thick and use your cookie cutter(s) to cut out your cookies!


Cut out as many shapes as you can and put them onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.


Bake these bad-boys for about 18 minutes.

I believe in trying a pinch of dough, just to make sure you're on the right track, so I enlisted some help.


Dog approved!


Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment